This holiday is from Kev and Hannah Blackburn who rents out a 3 bedroom villa in Spain.
All included in this holiday is
- A manual wheelchair
- inside hoist and an outside one for the private pool – you must take your own sling
- The use of 2 extra communal pools
- Toilet/shower chair on wheels
- A baby sitting service – Hannah has 4 grandchildren of her own
- Single accessible room complete with hospital electric bed
- A double bedroom immediately next to the accessible one, plus more bedrooms on a different level
- Taxi rides in an accessible car, which they have just purchased. – Kev can do this, whilst Hannah is baby sitting.
- Advice of places to go which are accessible
There are restaurants and bars within 10 minutes walk/roll from the villa.
They have told me about more ideas that they have, to ensure everyone can relax, including a baby monitor. They have designed their house with the help of Karen and her son Max, who uses a power chair. They have taken advice of how to change things for the better, and are still open for new ideas. They have built all of the ramps themselves, and even though about having flat areas in case someone is tired of pushing. In the Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle that they own, they have even got a turning cushion, to make it easier for someone to get into the car. Kev and Hannah’s house, is far more accessible than mine, which I live in.
Hannah and Kev, live in the apartment below, so they are always available when needed.
Karen had face timed me at 11 am (their time), when she showed me the outside, I could not believe how quite it was. I wanted to just grab my family, and jump on the next plane to Spain.
See Hannah’s video.
For more information see there website here Costa Blanca Wheelchair Friendly Website
“We live in Orihuella Costa in Spain and have just set up a three bedroom, 2 bathroom (one of which is a wet room) house totally designated for disabled people. to have holidays with their families or carers here. One of the bedrooms contains a hospital bed with hoist and the ground floor has been designed to be wheelchair friendly.
We have a 12m x 6m private pool within the grounds that has an electric hoist .There are five blue flag beaches within a 10 to 15 minute drive from us along with the famous “La Zenia Boulevard”.
We have purchased a wheelchair friendly vehicle for collection to and from Alicante or Murcia airports which can carry four other passengers. The vehicle and driver can be hired for excursions and taxi purposes also. The house is designed for self catering, however, there are an abundance of bistros and restaurants within the area”